Monday, March 12, 2012

Knitting and Rules

Ruby knows that all rules are meant to be broken, like that one about not getting on the couch.

I've been gathering quite the to-do list lately, and also creating quite the long craft rules list for myself.

Anyone else out there create rules around their creating?  You know, rules like "I cannot buy any more yarn until I use up my stash" or "no new fabric/patterns until I make something with the last fabric I bought" or my current rule "I can't sew anything new until I make progress on that quilt."  Obviously my rules are meant to motivate me to complete projects, or use up supplies/avoid a yarn and fabric hoarding issue.  I have to admit that I don't like having multiple unfinished projects lying around so I try to bust through them before they start to stress me out.  However, today I caught myself thinking, why all the rules?  Isn't crafting supposed to be my fun hobby?  Why would I let my hobby stress me out?

So what do you think?  Do you make "rules" for yourself?  If you do, do you keep them or are craft rules meant to be broken (like when you REALLY need a skein of that gorgeous alpaca or a yard of that adorable Heather Ross print)?  Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who stresses themselves out over something that is supposed to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment